We all need courage in our life, whether it be to just get out of bed and tackle the day or to tackle an insurmountable task in front of us. Joshua certainly needed courage as he brought the Israelites into the Promised Land. Let’s see what we can learn from his story about the courage we all need.
- Lived 13 c. BC (or possibly 15th c. BC)
- Moses’ apprentice
- His name was changed from Hoshea (salvation) to Joshua (The LORD is salvation)
- later the name would be pronounced yeshua = Jesus
“Be strong and courageous” occurs 4x in Joshua 1 (Joshua 1:6, 7, 9, 18)
Fear Faith Courage
Where does courage come from?
- God’s Commission
- Joshua 1:6
- God’s Instruction
- Joshua 1:7
- God’s Presence
- Joshua 1:9
- A Coach’s Encouragement
- Deuteronomy 1:38; 3:28; 31:7-8
Big Idea: Go where courage grows
How do you do that?
- Foster Intimacy with God
- Foster Intimacy with People