Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Big Idea: We need to shock the culture, not be culture shocked.
Athens in the 1st century:
- Named after the goddess, Athena – contained 3 temples to Athena among temples and images to other gods
- Famous for its philosophical and academic prowess
- Occupied by Rome – Athens was long past its glory days but still an important city
Who should we share with?
- God will show you
- v. 16 – Paul’s spirit was provoked within him
- Anyone without distinction, not anyone without exception
- Jews and God fearing Greeks = people with a church background
- People in the marketplace = business owners and consumers
- Philosophers = professors and academics
- Areopagus = city administrators, judges, political leaders
Where should we share?
- Wherever they are
- Result: Loss of Conscience
- Medium: Media
- Result: Loss of Purpose
- Medium: Technology
- Result: Loss of Reason
- Medium: Academia
Creed by Steve Turner
We believe in Marxfreudanddarwin.
We believe everything is OK
as long as you don’t hurt anyone,
to the best of your definition of hurt,
and to the best of your knowledge.
We believe in sex before during
and after marriage.
We believe in the therapy of sin.
We believe that adultery is fun.
We believe that sodomy’s OK
We believe that taboos are taboo.
We believe that everything’s getting better
despite evidence to the contrary.
The evidence must be investigated.
You can prove anything with evidence.
We believe there’s something in horoscopes,
UFO’s and bent spoons;
Jesus was a good man just like Buddha
Mohammed and ourselves.
He was a good moral teacher although we think
his good morals were bad.
We believe that all religions are basically the same,
at least the one that we read was.
They all believe in love and goodness.
They only differ on matters of
creation sin heaven hell God and salvation.
We believe that after death comes The Nothing
because when you ask the dead what happens
they say Nothing.
If death is not the end, if the dead have lied,
then it’s compulsory heaven for all
excepting perhaps Hitler, Stalin and Genghis Khan.
We believe in Masters and Johnson.
What’s selected is average.
What’s average is normal.
What’s normal is good.
We believe in total disarmament.
We believe there are direct links between
warfare and bloodshed.
Americans should beat their guns into tractors
and the Russians would be sure to follow.
We believe that man is essentially good.
It’s only his behaviour that lets him down.
This is the fault of society.
Society is the fault of conditions.
Conditions are the fault of society.
We believe that each man must find the truth
that is right for him.
Reality will adapt accordingly.
The universe will readjust. History will alter.
We believe that there is no absolute truth
excepting the truth that there is no absolute truth.
We believe in the rejection of creeds.