We are more than 1 year into our 2016-2017 vision. Praise God we are continuing to move forward with our building plans and our plans to reach out and be a blessing to our community. This is an exciting time in the life of our church and we hope that you are excited about partnering with us to make space in our lives and in our church for God to move.
Big Idea: God moves. We Follow
Why make space?
- God moving + us following = Greater impact
- God does extraordinary things through ordinary people
- 1 Corinthians 1:26–31 (ESV) – 26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
How do we make space?
- Put God first
- Matthew 6:33 (ESV) – 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Matthew 22:36–38 (ESV) – 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment.
- Purge and replenish
- 2 Kings 23:24–25 (ESV) – 24 Moreover, Josiah put away the mediums and the necromancers and the household gods and the idols and all the abominations that were seen in the land of Judah and in Jerusalem, that he might establish the words of the law that were written in the book that Hilkiah the priest found in the house of the Lord. 25 Before him there was no king like him, who turned to the Lord with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might, according to all the Law of Moses, nor did any like him arise after him.
- Galatians 5:19–23 (ESV) – 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
- Stop, drop, and listen
- Daniel 6:10 (ESV) – 10 When Daniel knew that the document had been signed, he went to his house where he had windows in his upper chamber open toward Jerusalem. He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously.
- Luke 5:16 (ESV) – 16 But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray.
- Psalm 138:3 (ESV) – 3 On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased.
- Find your passion
- Nehemiah 1:4 (ESV) – 4 As soon as I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days, and I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven.
- Nehemiah 2:12 (ESV) – 12 Then I arose in the night, I and a few men with me. And I told no one what my God had put into my heart to do for Jerusalem. There was no animal with me but the one on which I rode.
- Esther 4:12–16 (ESV) – 12 And they told Mordecai what Esther had said. 13 Then Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, “Do not think to yourself that in the king’s palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews. 14 For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” 15 Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai, 16 “Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish.”