Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Social Justice: The impartial and proportional treatment of each person in a society as a necessary condition of their human dignity.
For more information regarding the use of the term social justice and the biblical terminology please visit this recent blog post.
Big Idea: The Law demanded charity, a violation of which was sin. (Deuteronomy 15:9, 11)
Two requirements of charity in the Law
- With a proper heart (Deuteronomy 15:7, 9, 10)
- Adequate in amount to meet the need (Deuteronomy 15:7, 10, 11)
Big Idea: The Law demanded charity, a violation of which was sin. As New Testament Christians we are expected and empowered to give willingly and generously.
- Matthew 6:2-3 – when you give
- James 2:14-17 – genuine faith will by nature come with charity
- 2 Corinthians 8:7-9 – giving was not commanded by Paul but should be done to prove genuine love and because Jesus gave
- 2 Corinthians 9:7 – give freely; give cheerfully
- Acts 4:34-35 – this form of non-compulsive giving coupled with the Holy Spirit was effective in fulfilling Deuteronomy 15:4, which the Law alone never did